Welcome to week three (in Wisconsin, at least). Boy, it was nice to kick off the football weekend with a Packers victory last night, wasn't it?
I am headed to Madison tonight to see the Purple Knights try to get their second win of the season against La Follette, while Jim Franz will watch Hononegah roll over Guilford.
On to the predictions!
• BELOIT MEMORIAL at MADISON LA FOLLETTE: I mean, this would be an enormous win tonight for the Purple Knights. With Madison East on tap next week, a victory over the Lancers would give them an excellent chance for a 3-1 start and give them a clear path to their first playoff berth since 1999.
The Lancers and Purple Knights were both blasted by two of the Conference's elite teams last week, so both schools will be looking for a bounce-back effort this week.
I really think this one is going to come down to a fourth quarter game, but I still don't have the guts to pick the Knights.
LA FOLLETTE 28, BELOIT MEMORIAL 20
• TURNER at MCFARLAND: This is a really big game for Turner. There really is no evidence that McFarland is a good football team. They have played two solid teams, but still have managed just 15 total points.
If Turner is what they think they are, they will go on the road and take care of business tonight. A loss will mean a 1-2 record, with the one win being a struggle against a bad Whitewater team. It's week three, and it's time for the real Trojans to stand up. Otherwise, we might as well be running a replay of the 2018 season, and no Turner player, fan or coach wants that again.
TURNER 30, MCFARLAND 14
• GUILFORD at HONONEGAH: This should be a run-of-the-mill name your score type of game for the Indians. They have done a great job in recent years of putting teams like this away early.
Let's see if this year's Indians squad has that type of ability as well.
HONONEGAH 35, GUILFORD 0
• BRODHEAD-JUDA at EDGERTON: This is just going to be a tough matchup for the Cards. Great win last week that gave them a little life. Hoping they can keep this one close for a while.
EDGERTON 34, BRODHEAD-JUDA 14
• EAST TROY at BIG FOOT: This is going to be a good one, I believe. Look, I'll be honest. I have my nine teams winning a combined one playoff game this fall, and that would go to Hononegah. I really hope I'm wrong, and it's awfully early to declare that. But maybe a team steps up and surprises me. Maybe that team could be Big Foot. A win tonight would go a long way towards solidifying that status.
EAST TROY 35, BIG FOOT 34
• CLINTON at WHITEWATER: OK, the Cougars need a win here. Like very, very badly do they need that win. They are staring at a VERY long season if they start 0-3 with a game against Edgerton looming next week. The Cougars have passed for just 157 yards through two games and need to show another dimension to opposing defenses. You know what? Let's go optimistic here.
CLINTON 28, WHITEWATER 20
• WESTVILLE at SOUTH BELOIT: Let's get the SoBos off to a good start at home, shall we?
SOUTH BELOIT35, WESTVILLE 21
• PARDEEVILLE at PARKVIEW ALBANY: I'm going to need to see tangible proof of improvement before I predict a Vikings victory.
PARDEEVILLE 35, PARKVIEW 28.
LAST WEEK: 5-2
2019 RECORD: 8-4