This is going to be an odd Friday night for me. I won't be on a football sideline somewhere. I think I've missed one football Friday since I began broadcasting games in 2008. That's 10 years!
In that time, I've never missed a Clinton-Turner game.
But, can I let you in on a little secret? I'm not that sad about it.
Sure, I'll miss seeing the Trojans and Cougars do battle. Could be a good game. Always a fun rivalry.
But for the second straight day, I'm headed to Miller Park to watch the Brewers play the Rockies. Last night's game featured a range of emotions that I wasn't quite prepared for. Excitement, anticipation, happiness, glee, confidence, frustration, concern, fear, despair, relief and finally, at just the right moment, elation.
It was that kind of day. The kind you hope for when you hop in the car to go to the game. Accompanied by my dad (it was our 89th game together, and yes I have a spreadsheet) and my friends Jon and Jaron, Brewer diehards both, made for ideal companions in section 214.
Can we get another game as epic as game one? That's doubtful. I'll settle for another win.
And now, on to the picks!
I went 5-1 last week, and am 36-8 for the season.
• CLINTON at TURNER: The turmoil at Turner has hopefully vanished in a cloud of smoke. The Trojans should be able to bounce back tonight, end their two-game losing streak and clinch a playoff berth with a victory. Clinton won't make it easy on them, however. I see a close game here.
TURNER 28, CLINTON 20.
• BIG FOOT at BRODHEAD-JUDA: The Chiefs are on a nice little roll here. And to be completely honest, it had kind of escaped me that, if you participate in a 10-team conference and don't have the opportunity to scheduled a non-conference game, four wins is often good enough to make the playoffs.
A win tonight would give the Chiefs that fourth win they are seeking, and I think they get it. Then again, I haven't picked a Brodhead game correctly this year (or so it seems), so who knows.
BIG FOOT 42, BRODHEAD-JUDA 28
• VERONA at BELOIT MEMORIAL: This would be a significant upset if the Knights were able to secure a homecoming victory. As I've said in the past, I just haven't seen enough from the BMHS offense to go out on a limb for them.
VERONA 35, BELOIT MEMORIAL 14
• HONONEGAH at AUBURN: Nothing to see here, folks. Move along. Stay healthy, Indians.
HONONEGAH 49, AUBURN -4.
• PARKVIEW at PALMYRA-EAGLE. Just can't see the Vikings breaking through here.
PALMYRA-EAGLE 42, PARKVIEW 13