BELOIT - Danny Belling, the Midwest Conference North Division Pitcher of the Year, was recently named Beloit College's baseball team's MVP.
Belling, a junior, posted a 5-1 record in nine starts. He tossed four complete games. In 61 innings pitched, he allowed 22 earned runs and struck out 38 while walking only seven.
Head coach Dave DeGeorge announced several other honorees for the 2019 team awards:
• MR. CLUTCH: Ethan Conley and James Wicker shared the award.
Conley and Wicker were mainstays in the infield for the Buccaneers. Conley, a senior, split time at first and second base. He posted a .311 batting average on the year recording 38 hits, 20 runs and 27 runs batted in. He also knocked eight doubles and blasted a homerun while taking 15 walks. Defensively, a registered a .978 fielding percentage with 125 putouts and 55 assists. Wicker, a sophomore third baseman, hit .352 with 43 hits, 31 runs, five doubles and 32 RBI. He also had 10 stolen bases.
• WORK HORSE: Tyler Assiff (junior first baseman and pitcher) and Wes Gross (senior pitcher).
• TEAM PLAYER OF THE YEAR: Wes Gross (senior pitcher).
• DEFENSiVE PLAYER OF THE YEAR: Ethan Conley (senior second baseman/first baseman).
• MOST IMPROVED PLAYER: James Wicker (sophomore third baseman).
• ACADEMIC AWARD: Ben Jensen (sophomore outfielder).
Jensen is a double major in economics and engineering and boasts a 3.655 cumulative grade point average.