WHITEWATER, Wis. - The Beloit Turner softball team moved into sole possession of second place in the Rock Valley Conference with a 7-2 victory over host Whitewater Thursday.
The Trojans got an excellent performance from Kenzy Conkle on the mound, as the sophomore struck out 10 and scattered seven hits to earn the win, while also going 3-for-4 at the plate.
Azariah Martin and Jocelyn Jordan each had two hits for the Trojans.
The Trojans are two games behind Jefferson with two to play. They will host the Eagles on Saturday.
• BMHS SWEEPS WEST: The Beloit Memorial softball team was purely dominant on Thursday, sweeping visiting Madison West 10-0 and 18-0 behind solid performances in the circle from Jacey Walker and Brynn Swanson.
In game one, the Knights scored one run in the second before plating four in the third, two in the fourth and ending the game with three runs in the fifth.
Beloit pounded out 16 hits, including three from Arianna Brown and Kylie Evans, who also drove in three runs. Walker struck out six and allowed just one hit in five innings.
In game two, things were even more lopsided. The Knights out-hit the Regents 19-1, scoring at least one run in all five innings, including seven runs in the second inning.
Mandi Franks led the hit parade with four, while Gracie Henthorn and Miranda Mechanic each had three. Mechanic and Swanson drove in three runs each, while Swanson struck out six in a complete-game performance.
• PEARL CITY 17, SOUTH BELOIT 2: Pearl City took advantage of 10 South Beloit errors ad scored 14 runs in the final two innings to run away from the SoBos.
Madison Carlson struck out 11 hitters but took the loss.
• BASEBALL: EVANSVILLE 3, BRODHEAD 1: The Blue Devils scored a pair of runs in the top of the fifth inning to break a 1-1 tie and hung on for the win Thursday in Brodhead.
Quinton Kammerer pitched five innings and allowed three runs before Gavin Kammerer and Brady Malkow finished up with scoreless innings. The Cardinals were held to three hits by Evansville starter Ethan France.
• SOCCER: MADISON MEMORIAL 4, BELOIT 1: The Knitro fell behind 3-0 at halftime and couldn't muster a second-half comeback against a solid Spartans team Thursday night.
Beloit's Monica Fernandez notched the team's only goal to bring the Knitro to within 3-1, but they could get no closer. Meghan Drucker finished with 17 saves for Beloit.
• TENNIS: JANESVILLE PARKER 6, BELOIT MEMORIAL 1: The Purple Knights fell to Janesville Thursday at a home match, with number one singles player John Dimassis notching the only victory.
Dimassis defeated Abel Saaka 6-2, 6-1. Matthew Wick put up a solid fight at number two singles before falling 6-3, 7-5.