BELOIT - Cunningham Intermediate School principal and former assistant superintendent Anthony Bonds says new Superintendent Stanley Munro retaliated against him, by giving him a poor evaluation after Bonds claimed he repeatedly had been pressured to take a buyout and leave the district.
Bonds emailed the School District of Beloit Board of Education on Aug. 1, requesting to meet alone with the board to discuss his concerns about Munro and former temporary interim superintendent Anthony Bosco. The Beloit Daily News obtained a copy of the email from reliable source who asked to remain anonymous.
Bonds' first concern was his 2018-2019 unfavorable evaluation and performance plan, which Bonds requested be removed from his personnel files.
Prior to the unfavorable evaluation, Bonds said he received three years of favorable evaluations, four years with no disciplinary or performance issues, a positive letter of recommendation from former interim superintendent Donald Childs and a positive letter of recommendation from a board member.
Bonds said Director of Equity, Bilingual and Alternative Programs Anthony Bosco - who temporarily served as superintendent, for two months - only met with him once for about 5 to 10 minutes to review the goals that were established with Childs. During the meeting, Bonds said Bosco did not communicate a change in the evaluation process, expectation or evaluation tool to be used nor did Bosco observe him or express any performance concerns.
Bonds said he was also concerned about his end of the year evaluation meeting held with Munro and the new Executive Director of School Leadership and Equity Peggy Muehlenkamp on July 29. During the meeting, Bonds said 15 minutes was focused on Munro's displeasure with an email Bonds sent Munro regarding his concerns about Bosco repeatedly asking him about his job search status and asking him if he wanted a buyout.
"I also expressed in that email my concerns about the potentially discriminatory hiring process and practices for district-level positions," Bonds said.
Bonds said Munro referenced the email several times.
"...When I meet with the Board, I will fully describe Stanley's confrontational and condescending disposition during the meeting." the email to the board stated.
Bonds also alleged Munro told him he would never get a buyout and he didn't care what happened in the meeting with Bosco. Munro allegedly advised him not to send his evaluation rebuttal through email, instead asking that it be delivered as a hard copy to the secretary.
"...To be clear, what I am experiencing is plain intimidation and retaliation by Dr. Stanley Munro. And, his actions have made it clear that he does not want me here." Bonds stated in his email.
When the Beloit Daily News asked Munro for a response to Bonds' accusations and why he requested the evaluation rebuttal be done via email, he issued the following verbal statement:
"This is a personnel matter and the district does not discuss specific pending personnel matters in public. Any allegations made will be processed and addressed in accordance with district policy.
"The Beloit community and all its constituencies, that's teachers, parents, students and the broader community, expect excellence in our teaching, learning and outcomes. We as a district are going to take every action to improve school performance and prepare our students to compete in the 21st century economy and the fourth industrial revolution.
"In order to accomplish that everyone involved in the Beloit Schools will be held accountable to perform at the highest levels that our community has the right to expect."
Bonds could not be reached for comment by press time.