BELOIT - Beloit police now say a large confrontation led to Monday's fatal shooting on the city's west side.
The department has yet to name the 21-year-old Beloit man killed in the shooting that left two others injured near Elm Street and Roosevelt Avenue just after 9:30 p.m. Monday. Identities of the victims and potential suspects have been withheld due to the nature of Monday's incident that involved "many individuals," according to Communications Director Sarah Millard.
An autopsy of the deceased victim is pending with the Rock County Medical Examiner's Office.
Millard said the department is aware of speculation about possible suspects on local social media pages, but said no suspects or persons of interest had been publicly named by police.
"We are respectfully asking the community to please refrain from speculating about who is involved for the safety of the community and to protect the integrity of the investigation," Millard said.
Monday's shooting death marks the second homicide in Beloit this year and the third shooting death in Beloit in the last four months.
On Feb. 9, the body of James M. Tomten, 28, of Janesville, was found in a vehicle in the 800 block of Vine Street. Police have not identified a suspect in the case.
The department continues to investigate the death as a homicide, but no update was given on Tuesday. Millard said no new details of the case were available due to the nature of the ongoing investigation.
On Nov. 21, Jose Reyes, 49, of Beloit, was shot and killed in the 1700 block of Harrison Avenue. Ezequiel C. Acosta, 21, of Beloit, was identified as the suspect in the shooting. He has been ordered to receive mental health treatment and thus far he has been deemed not fit to stand trial.
Anyone with information about the shooting Monday is asked to call the Beloit Police Department at 608-757-2244.