Week six is upon us. The playoff picture is coming into clearer view. The weather is cooling off. Mosquitoes will, sources tell me, die off at some point in the future.
I went 4-2 last week and am 24-7 for the season. Let's dive in, shall we?
• BELVIDERE NORTH at HONONEGAH: The Indians were already going to be big favorites to roll in this one. This morning comes word that Belvidere North will be missing its starting quarterback. This is not a positive development for the Blue Thunder. Even though they don't throw the ball too much, the quarterback has to be the navigator of their triple option system.
I have no real reason to believe this one will be close. Maybe for a half? Probably not.
HONONEGAH 42, BELVIDERE NORTH 13
• BELOIT MEMORIAL at MADISON WEST: The Purple Knights enter the second game of a brutal three-game road trip, and this one is interesting. The Knights can win this game and stay alive in the playoff race, if they limit turnovers.
The problem is, the Knights haven't shown an ability to limit turnovers this season. It's hard to project a road victory over a decent team when they've had so many issues hanging on to the football.
MADISON WEST 35, BELOIT MEMORIAL 28
• BELOIT TURNER at EDGERTON: The Trojans have a tough battle in store for them tonight in Edgerton. Turner has played two straight contested games, and Edgerton will certainly provide another test.
I'm not worried about the Trojans, but I do think they drop tonight's game in a tight contest.
EDGERTON 28, BELOIT TURNER 27
• BIG FOOT at MCFARLAND: The Chiefs' two-game winning streak will be put to a stern test tonight when they travel to undefeated McFarland. The Spartans have really been tested only once this season, and I don't see the Chiefs being able to break in to the 'W' column tonight.
MCFARLAND 42, BIG FOOT 20
• EAST TROY at BRODEAD-JUDA: The Cardinals had a much-improved performance on Friday against Turner, but still came up short. They need an upset to stay in the realistic playoff picture. I've had no luck picking Brodhead-Juda games this year, so I'm going to hope for a reverse jinx in this one.
EAST TROY 42, BRODHEAD-JUDA 30
• CLINTON at JEFFERSON: Another tough game for the Cougars, who don't have a lot of games that scream WINNABLE left on the schedule. I don't think this is one of them, either.
JEFFERSON 49, CLINTON 20
• PARKVIEW at DODGELAND: Another tough game looms for the Vikings. They are in 'prove it' territory for me at this point.
DODGELAND 35, PARKVIEW 13.